Flexible intermediate bulk containers, also known as FIBCs, are utilized by most industries to store and transport a variety of dry, flowable goods such as granules and powders. FIBCs are flexible yet sturdy and durable and can be designed with a variety of accessories and specifications such as UV protection, various linings, tops, and closures depending on the type of product stored and the purpose.
FIBC bags provide a better alternative over corrugated cartons for the handling and storage of many materials that would become heavy and awkward to handle or break down corrugated material. FIBCs provide many advantages over other types of material storage containers.
FIBC Static Protection Rating
There are four broad categories of FIBCs based on the level of static protection that they provide:
- Type A – plain with no static protection
- Type B – designed with protection against low breakdown voltage transmitted from brush discharges
- Type C – contain interconnecting panels with the ability to control electrical charges when grounded. These bags are recommended when working with explosive materials or atmospheres
- Type D – designed to dissipate static charges without requiring grounding
The Many Advantages of FIBC Bags
Some of the most important advantages of flexible intermediate bulk containers include:
- Protection against static charges – depending on the type and rating of bags chosen.
- Protection against moisture – products like seed grain can become moldy quickly if exposed to moisture. FIBCs are sealed to prevent moisture, protect products and increase shelf life.
- Space-saving – the ability to collapse when not in use allows for stacking and easy, space-saving storage.
- Easy to handle – using bulk bags with inlets and outlets allows for easy handling of products like grains and seeds without spilling, underfilling, or overfilling.
- Cost-efficient – FIBC bags often store grains and seeds from harvest to the processor, which provides cost-efficient handling and storage. Companies save time and money with FIBC bags that are easy and efficient to transport.
- Maintain square packaging of bags – sturdy yet flexible material allows for the bags to retain square packaging to prevent bulging and allows for easy packing and storage.
- Stable and safe handling – reinforced, robust structural designs provide stable and safe handling.
- Preserve product quality – these durable bags effectively preserve the composition, flavor, and quality of food items and other products.
- Prevent spillage – FIBC bags are designed with closures that prevent leakage and spillage during loading, unloading, and transportation.
FIBC bags provide these benefits and many others to a wide range of industrial uses. Consulting with an experienced contract packaging company helps businesses understand the many options available for storing and transporting goods.
Contract Packaging Services
Peoria Production Solutions, PPS, is an industry-leading contract packaging company located in Illinois with more than 80 years of experience in providing a variety of contract packaging services. We offer high-quality packaging, repackaging, bag filling, shrink wrapping, palletizing, as well as kitting and assembly, and other production solutions. PPS helps companies of all sizes, from small to medium businesses, OEMs, and Fortune 100 manufacturers, to meet production goals.
Our vast resources include a large, state-of-the-art facility with 15 shipping and receiving bays and the capacity to set up dedicated work processes for the controlled flow of goods. Our ERP system provides lot code tracking of all customer-supplied material and real-time inventory control. We follow strict quality policies as part of our ISO9001:2015 registration and realize that our greatest asset is our employees.
PPS provides bag-filling services for market applications, including powders, supplements, seeds, nutraceuticals and other materials.
PPS offers production and packaging solutions to a wide range of industries and market applications. We offer secondary packaging solutions, including flexible packaging, auto bagging, and bag filling. Contact us to learn more about our many contract packaging and bag-filling services.